Tuesday, October 11, 2016

First Prize In InsulinNation's Diabetes Poetry Contest

First Prize in InsulinNation's Diabetes Poetry Contest
Once a certain death
Diabetes is now
something a person can live with.
Once a certain death
of a boy I read about
reminded me
Diabetes isn’t something a person can ignore
and live with.
Once a certain death
standing in the darkness by the bed
as I came sweating and trembling to awareness
reminded me my death
is something I live with.
-Jerry Nairn
From <http://insulinnation.com/living/your-type-1-diabetes-poetry/

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
  • Heart disease: 614,348
  • Cancer: 591,699
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 147,101
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 136,053
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 133,103
  • Alzheimer's disease: 93,541
  • Diabetes: 76,488
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,227
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 48,146
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 42,773


From <https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment